Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Skip to main content
Advertisement

Helt won’t seek re-election to Crestview City Council

CRESTVIEW — Group 1 at-large Crestview City Councilwoman Robyn Helt says she will not seek re-election in the spring.

Helt said she had been “wrestling with” the decision, which came down to family health concerns.

“I was on the fence for awhile,” Helt said. “I’ve been a little disappointed in the turn our council has taken over the last few months. I didn’t want to leave the citizens without a fiscal watchdog on deck.”

Helt has a reputation for demanding fiscal accountability in city government and resisting efforts to spend unbudgeted money. She also champions making government more efficient and accessible to residents.

Despite leaving the council, Helt said she would remain an active observer and citizen participant in city government and will speak up when it's necessary.

“I have enjoyed the job and I have enjoyed doing what the citizens have put me in office to do, and I’ll certainly still be active in the community and staying on top of issues that affect me as a business owner and a citizen,” she said.

 “I’m not going anywhere, but I just have to shift my focus for a little bit."

Email News Bulletin Staff Writer Brian Hughes, follow him on Twitter or call 850-682-6524.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: Helt won’t seek re-election to Crestview City Council

School board race too close to call

CRESTVIEW — Whoever wins the Okaloosa County School Board race will be sworn in later this month alongside incumbent Melissa Thrush and newly elected board member Lamar White.

The race came down to 93 votes on Tuesday and was too close to call. Supervisor of Elections Paul Lux said the .09 percent difference between the votes required an automatic recount.

Throughout Tuesday night, no more than a 1,000-vote difference existed between Joe Slusser and Rodney Walker. At one point, just 33 votes separated them.

Walker was elected to the Okaloosa County School Board in 1994 and was subsequently re-elected five times. During his tenure, including this year, the Fort Walton Beach resident often served as the board chairman.

Slusser — the Okaloosa County Jail chaplain who recently retired from teaching at Shoal River Middle School in Crestview — previously served in a variety of educational roles in Kentucky.

The two men went into a runoff in Tuesday’s election after neither got a clear majority of the votes in the three-way competition during August’s primary.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: School board race too close to call

Supervisor of Elections: Junior voters', adults' decisions similar

Taylor Smith, 9 — with grandparents Cindi and Greg Smith — filled in a child's ballot for favorite food, toy, cartoon dog and movie while waiting for general election results Tuesday at the Okaloosa Supervisor of Elections office.

CRESTVIEW — Okaloosa County students' mock election results generally aligned with registered voters' decisions, according to the Supervisor of Elections website.

In county high school voting, Jeff Miller beat Jim Bryan for U.S. Congress, Rick Scott earned a second term as governor, and Pam Bondi outdistanced other attorney general hopefuls.

However, in the kids' vote, Joe Slusser took a substantial lead over Rodney Walker for Okaloosa County School Board, with 3,222 votes to the incumbent’s 1,613.

In the actual election, unofficial results indicate votes were so close a recount will be necessary.

High school voters overwhelmingly approved the medical marijuana amendment 3,672 to 1,256.

Though official “yes” votes topped “no’s,” it wasn’t by a sufficient margin to pass, proving a point elections officials try to make voters understand.

“Every vote counts every time,” said Bridget Richard Krebs, Supervisor of Elections voter education and public relations coordinator.

Email News Bulletin Staff Writer Brian Hughes, follow him on Twitter or call 850-682-6524.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: Supervisor of Elections: Junior voters', adults' decisions similar

Crestview City Council eyes hire for newest department head

CRESTVIEW — On Monday, the City Council will negotiate the salary for its newest department head position.

City leaders, voting 4-1, tapped Teresa Gaillard, Crestview's Geographic Information System mapping analyst and planning technician, to be the administrative assistant/growth management director.

The job includes overseeing the Community Redevelopment Agency and Main Street Crestview Association official, preparing ordinances, resolutions and council meeting and workshop agendas and evaluating and recommending administrative changes.

See last night's Twitter stream for more information>>

Gaillard has worked with the city since 2003, and has 20 years' experience in varying levels of management, she said. Gaillard has been an engineering computer-aided design drafting specialist and supervisor for companies in Destin, Milton and Pensacola, among others, according to her resume.

Eric Davis, Crestview's planning official in the Growth Management Department; Eddie James, an overnight stocker at Wal-Mart in Destin; and Jason O'Daniels, DeFuniak Springs' code enforcement and environmental compliance officer, also applied for the job.

For three hours, city leaders asked individual candidates to share their views on impact fees, the city's improvement areas, and to rate their own work ethic, among other things.

Gaillard said she's heard some developers say Crestview's "the most expensive place to develop … (but) some say that's the cost of doing business"; that she believes some city employees are inefficient "40 percent of the time"; and that she has an 11 work ethic on a 10-point scale.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: Crestview City Council eyes hire for newest department head

Boyles' next constituent event focuses on military issues

CRESTVIEW — This week, Okaloosa County Commissioner Nathan Boyles will host “Hops with Heroes," a constituent event for military veterans.

The event is 5-7 p.m. Nov. 6 at the Oscar E. Wilson American Legion Post 75, 898 E. James Lee Blvd.

“My recent visit to the 6th Ranger Training Battalion inspired me to host my next constituent event in honor of our military veterans," Boyles said. "I look forward to the opportunity to meet with our veterans, to see how the county can better serve and support our active military missions and our veterans."

Boyles is the District 3 commissioner, which includes areas in north and south Okaloosa County.

He regularly hosts "Cold One with the Commissioner" events, and buys the first round of drinks for each veteran (and each supporter of our veterans) who attends.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: Boyles' next constituent event focuses on military issues

Public hearing set for PJ Adams tax increment financing district

CRESTVIEW — A public hearing has been scheduled on the proposal to establish a "tax increment financing," or TIF, district for the PJ Adams Parkway-Antioch Road Corridor.

The hearing is 9 a.m. Dec. 2 at the Okaloosa County Courthouse in Crestview.

PJ Adams and Antioch are scheduled to be widened to four lanes and be partially re-aligned north of Interstate 10.

"The county has received some funding from the state for design of the roadway and right-of-way acquisition, but the project — which is critical for the economic development of Okaloosa County — will require many millions of dollars more than is currently budgeted," County Commissioner Nathan Boyles said in his recent newsletter to constituents.

"If created, the TIF district would establish a savings account that could be used for the project. More importantly, the funds collected through the TIF district could be used to encourage the state to provide additional funding through matching grants and other sources," he said.

Establishing the district would not cause a property tax rate increase, county officials said.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: Public hearing set for PJ Adams tax increment financing district

Crestview's traffic impact fee waiver may die by year's end

The Crestview City Council is questioning whether a traffic impact fee waiver, set to expire at the end of the year, encouraged developers to pursue Redstone Plaza — pictured rising in May — and similar projects.

CRESTVIEW — The City Council hasn't renewed the traffic impact fee waiver, which could expire as the year ends.

The fee, charged to developers, was eliminated in January 2013 after Gov. Rick Scott's executive order asked that communities cut it to spur economic growth.

Here are city officials and representatives' views on the issue:

•Council members Robyn Helt, Joe Blocker and Mickey Rytman support extending the waiver.

“I don't think it's coincidental we have seen this spike (in development) over the last couple years,” Helt said. Developers “tell me the traffic impact fee waiver is one of the major considerations in deciding to build their projects.”

•City Planner Eric Davis said the city has lost approximately $394,000 in fee revenue, but traffic impact fees weren't a major factor.

“The developers who come and deal with me, they have never told me that an impact fee has kept them from Crestview,” he said. Rather, "it was the overwhelming proportionate fair share fee."

Proportionate fair share, or “prop share,” was a "pay-as-you-grow" fee that helped fund public services associated with commercial growth. It died in September 2012 after the council amended the city’s comprehensive plan.

“The prop share was the fee that for five years killed any development on (Highway) 85 between 90 and the (Shoal) River,” Davis said.

•City attorney Jerry Miller has advised the council to end the waiver. Periodically extending it could expose the city to litigation if some businesses were exempt from the fee while others paid it, he said.

A decision to extend the waiver should be based on an independent expert's objective study, Miller said.

Atkins Engineering, which becomes the city’s traffic consultant in a month, could conduct such a study, city planner Eric Davis said.

•Councilman Tom Gordon said he would support renewing the fee waiver if a traffic engineering firm's independent study supports it.

Email News Bulletin Staff Writer Brian Hughes, follow him on Twitter or call 850-682-6524.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: Crestview's traffic impact fee waiver may die by year's end

100 additional barriers will protect entire downtown parade route

Xander Gray, 6, watches the Oct. 10 Crestview High School Homecoming parade from behind a crowd-control barricade. New barricades approved Monday night will assure the entire Main Street parade route is barricaded.

CRESTVIEW — The annual Main Street Christmas Parade will be safer this year thanks to the Community Redevelopment Agency Board’s unanimous approval Monday night of the purchase of an additional 870 feet of crowd control barricades.

The Main Street Crestview Association requested the extra barricades to complete the route from Courthouse Terrace to the parade route end at Cedar Avenue and Wilson Street.

The 100 new barricades will cost $9,375 and will supplement the 560 barriers already owned by the agency.

The original barricades, purchased in 2008, were meant to cover the Main Street parade route from the railroad tracks to the Wilson Street end.

“Since most of the parades start at Martin Luther King (Avenue), the barricades only stretch to about Courthouse Terrace,” Public Works Director Wayne Steele said.

“As our parades continue to grow, it's getting more and more dangerous at the end of the route,” Mayor David Cadle said.

Steele reminded the board that at last year’s Christmas parade, a boy was injured when he ran in front of a parade float on Cedar Avenue, which had no barricades.

The new barricades will be purchased from Inline Barricades of Diamondhead, Miss., the supplier of the city’s existing barriers. The $89 sections cost $3 more than in 2008, Steele said. The new units are expected to arrive in time for the Dec. 6 Christmas parade.

Email News Bulletin Staff Writer Brian Hughes, follow him on Twitter or call 850-682-6524.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: 100 additional barriers will protect entire downtown parade route

Car registration renewal option saves Okaloosa drivers more than $258,000

FORT WALTON BEACH — The Okaloosa County Tax Collector’s Office saved county motorists over $258,000 when they removed the motor vehicle registration’s two-year renewal option earlier this year.

On April 4, 2014, Governor Rick Scott signed a bill that would lower the cost of most vehicle registrations by up to $25 per year. While this was great news, it would not go into effect until Sept. 1.

This prompted Okaloosa County Tax Collector Ben Anderson to be the first Tax Collector to remove the biennial option from vehicle renewals through August in an effort to prevent motorists from electing the 2nd year option at the higher rate. During those months, over 11,500 registrations were saved the extra expense for the second year registration.

Anderson says, “In Okaloosa County last year, 23,400 vehicles had biennial registrations. With the new, lower rate, there is a tangible savings, so we have reinstated the two-year renewal option. Now I am encouraging all motorists to take advantage of the biennial option. If owners choose to register their vehicle(s) for two years they will certainly save time and money.”

Anderson says, “It is our responsibility to be good stewards with resources and information. This is just another example of your Tax Collector’s Office working hard to save you money.”

Vehicle registrations can be processed online at www.OkaloosaTax.com or at any Okaloosa Tax Collector's Office branch.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: Car registration renewal option saves Okaloosa drivers more than $258,000

City employees offered Legal Shield

Crestview City Councilman Joe Blocker

CRESTVIEW — By a 3-1 vote, with Councilman Joe Blocker voting “nay,” the City Council approved having an outside vendor offer identity theft protection services to city employees.

During the Tuesday evening council meeting, Legal Shield representative Bob Hollingshead said it can take identity theft victims as much as 200 hours over six months to recover their identity and clear their credit ratings.

Hollingshead offered employees a discounted rate of $5.98 per pay period for the service, which workers would contract for directly with Hollingshead.

The service would not cost city taxpayers anything, Hollingshead said.

He said offering the service “reduces absenteeism and increases productivity” because workers who have had their identity stolen would not need to take time off to address the resultant legal and financial difficulties.

“It decreases employee stress because they now have access to an attorney,” Hollingshead said.

The contract would not allow employees to institute legal proceedings against the city.

When Councilman Tom Gordon’s motion to allow Legal Shield to give 15-minute presentations to city employees failed to garner a second, Council President Shannon Hayes passed the gavel to vice president Mickey Rytman and made the second.

The motion passed, with Blocker voting against it because he wanted department heads to first assess their employees’ feelings toward the service before giving approval to make the offer.

Email News Bulletin Staff Writer Brian Hughes, follow him on Twitter or call 850-682-6524.

This article originally appeared on Crestview News Bulletin: City employees offered Legal Shield

error: Content is protected !!